Home Forum

Deleting files on SD card does not free up space on SD card

I'm facing this issue:
when I delete a big folder, it's not deleted, but moved in "system data" instead, I remove the card, I plug it in my pc and my pc says that the device has to be checked for errors, it runs the check and then creates a folder named found.000, if I delete this, the free space is regained! I've already formatted my sd card, same issue happened!

the strange thing is that this happens only with large/huge files and folders, if I delete some megabytes, not a byte is added in system data! so I think I need to think why could this be happening with large data

Related:

#1 patrickdrd, May 18, 2018
Assuming that your SD card is 10 rated and not older then 10 years old. It could be you need a good file extractor in removing hidden files off your SD card or if it's beyond 10 years old it may be time for a new SD card because they do malfunction over time due to downloading and removing files back and forth to and from it.

#2 KBU2, May 18, 2018
no, it's brand new, both the card and the phone,

I've got a similar 1gb of data in internal too but this should be the mi cloud backup?
is it stored locally?
how can I delete it?
(I'm root)

#3 patrickdrd, May 18, 2018
I noticed the same thing happens when I delete a large file from the internal storage,
is this a nougat feature or a miui one?
any way I can force android to delete these files instantly instead of moving them to system data
and maybe deleting after reboot?

#4 patrickdrd, May 19, 2018
I formatted it to exfat and I think it does the job (instant delete), finally!

#5 patrickdrd, May 19, 2018
Let me check my notes...

#6 dontpanicbobby, May 23, 2018
It's called Adoptable Storage. Does your phone have that @patrickdrd?

#7 dontpanicbobby, May 23, 2018
I think it does, but I didn't enable it,
but what does adoptable storage have to do with it?
The problem that I had was that deleting large files weren't reflected by free storage space, I formatted to exfat and files are gone at once, I now want to delete some reserved storage in internal, which is seen as system data by diskusage

#8 patrickdrd, May 23, 2018
Adoptable Storage turns you MicroSD card into internal storage. If you take the card out and reformat it on your PC you have to make it Adoptable Storage on your phone again.

#9 dontpanicbobby, May 23, 2018
no, I've never done that

#10 patrickdrd, May 23, 2018
Here's a link to get you up to date as of last year. I'm really not sure if you can do it this year but your post gives me hope.

#11 dontpanicbobby, May 23, 2018
A rooted device maybe the biggest part of your issue.

#12 KBU2, May 23, 2018
what do you mean? device misbehaves because of root? it works fine after I fromatted that to exfat

#13 patrickdrd, May 23, 2018
/roor used to void your warranty in the USA. Not anymore. It's been a long strange trip.

#14 dontpanicbobby, May 23, 2018